Thursday, August 19, 2010

Inspired by Light

Even in photography, I've always been fascinated by light.  The Italian word for the interplay of light against shadow is chiaroscuro.

Here in Italy, I'm struck by how light seems to make the ancient plaster buildings glow - someday with a lot of practice I might even be able to capture the effect.

With rich warm colors of gold and orange and rose everywhere, the country seems perpetually bathed in sunshine.  Against those sunny tones, you'll often find pops of brilliant blue, crimson and deep pink. 


Inspired by the light, I tried to capture the essence of the country homes we see on our Sunday trips, bedecked in roses and window vasi of trailing flowers.

 

Still a work in progress, I took inspiration, too, from the colors I see through my kitchen window, the cobblestone streets of the Centro Storico in Modena, the frescoes decorating even the simplest country homes, and the spectacular gardens of the Italian countryside and Bavaria. 





We visited the restaurant pictured here, Zur Holl, is in Rothenburg ob der Tauber, on a recent trip to Germany.